Re: [Xen-users] WinXP cannot partition disk

> I created a logical volume for usage by a guest OS: Windows XP. When
> Windows starts the setup and comes to the partitioning part, no partition
> can be created. When I hit 'C' (create partition) and provide the partition
> size, setup returns to the same previous screen where I need to hit 'C'
> again.. it looks like its looping..

Weird.  Could you please post your domain config file?

> Another issue is that the .iso image of Windows XP (created with `dd
> if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/winxp.iso`) cannot be used during creation of the new
> guest OS. It fails. When I provide '/dev/cdrom' the guest OS boots from cd.
> I can't figure out why.

From the real CD, presumably?  You want something like:

disk = [ 'file:/tmp/winxp.iso,hdc:cdrom,r', ... ]

in your disk list.  This'll make hdc in the guest be an emulated CD-ROM drive
holding the contents of your ISO file.

There's a boot order variable in the config, you'll need "c" to be first if
it's going to boot off the hard drive.  e.g.

boot = "cda"

will try initially to boot from the hard drive, fall back to the CD-ROM drive
if that fails, and finally try to boot from the emulated floppy drive.

> I'm running RedHat FC6 and used the Xen version shipped with FC6. I suspect
> it is version 3.0. I also want to upgrade that version to 3.1 later on. The
> above might be related to version 3.0?

Those issues shouldn't be a issue with your particular version.

FC6 shipped with a Xen based on 3.0.3.  Xen 3.0.1 to 3.0.4 are feature
releases not just bugfixes as the numbers imply.  I have the impression that
3.0.4 and above has better support for running HVM guests, so you may find
Windows works better if you upgrade.  3.1 is what *would* have been called
3.0.5 in the old numbering scheme; you might want to consider upgrading to
that, although there are probably still some bugs to find in the new features
of that release :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.