From: Holger [mailto:Age_M@xxxxxx] Sent: 07 June 2007 14:59
To: Petersson, Mats
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.4.1 AMD-V HVM

Hi there again ;)

Thanks for the reply, I think I get it now. So the only problem is the Mainboard. Do you think I am in a position to expect Gigabyte to fix this? Is it my right to say "This is an AM2 mainboard, so you have to build this feature into the bios?". I mean, virtualization is a key feature of AM2, right?

Well, the KEY feature to processors that go into an AM2 is the ability
to use DDR2 memory (which for the same performance is less expensive
than DDR). It just so happens that we (AMD) choose to implement
virtualization features into the same product upgrade cycle, so AM2 is
an easy way to explain which processors have AMD-V or not.

And the other key point here is that before Rev G, it was very difficult
to disable AMD-V. In Rev G, it's one bit which is "sticky" (sticky means
that it can't be reset without resetting the entire processor) in one
register to disable AMD-V.
There is ABSOLUTELY no reason why this shouldn't be fixable in the BIOS.

I really hope, that I don't have to buy a new mainboard again :-/

Yes, I agree - although I would also say that if you bought the system
with the intention of running AMD-V, then it would be fair to say that
you should be able to take the motherboard back to the shop with a
complaint that "it doesn't do what it should be able to" based on not
being able to run AMD-V. [Being stricly legal, this is possibly beyond
what the legal definition of "fit for purpose" covers if you didn't
explicitly say to the retailer that you NEED the AMD-V feature - but I
still would attempt to get a replacement it on these grounds before just
buying a new motherboard].
--
Mats
Thanks for your detailed explanations ;)