Re: [Xen-users] Howto access the guest filesystem under LVM ?

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 09:04:09PM +0200, Pascal wrote:

> >>I have created a guest using virt-install.
> >>On the dom0 we have created a LogicalVolume and used it to install the
> >>guest
> >>
> >>We need to copy all the contents of the guest, so we'd like to access
> >>the guest filesystem from dom0
> >>
> >>Tried something like :
> >>mount -o loop /dev/xenvps/mylv /mnt
> >>
> >>But it doesn't work
> >>

> >Omit "-o loop". /dev/xenvps/mylv is a (symlink-to) a real block device
> >file, so there's no need for loop.
> >
> >Keep in mind that having it mounted R/W in guest and R/W or R/O in dom0
> >at the same time is asking for trouble.
> >

> It doesn't work
>
> # mount /dev/mapper/xenvps-centos45 /mnt/
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Ah, I think with newer centos/RH you need to treat the volume as a whole
disk and perform some tricks to make linux see partitions inside it, and
potentially even use them as LVM volumes.. I think there were examples
of that on the list earlier, I don't remember the details, though.

--
Marcin Owsiany <marcin@xxxxxxxxxx>              http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216

"Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail."
                                                              -- Unknown