Re: [Xen-users] Converting native WinXP to DomU guest?

Hi,

Derek Sherlock a écrit :
Merci Jérémie.

Mon plaisir ;)

I was not aware of Clonezilla.  I'll give it a try.

Actually discovered it only a few weeks ago !

On 6/18/07, Jérémie Tarot <jeremie.tarot@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Derek a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> I heard somewhere that there was a third-party tool available that
> converts an existing native WinXP OS to a DomU image for use with Xen
> HVM.

I haven't tried it yet with Xen (but soon will), but Clonezilla [1]
could be a solution (even directly through the LAN). I've already
migrated a pair of WXP installs to VMware with it. You can even find
infos on how to modify partitionning when restoring the image.

Another path could be to use the free VMware conterter [2][3] to create
the system image, but as I'm new to Xen, I don't know the recipe to the
convert/use the VMware image under Xen.

Just found the answer tonight :)

qemu-img convert disk.vmdk disk.img

PS: Being a virtualization kiddy, please correct any mistake !

[1] http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net
[2] http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/
[3] http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_converter_windows_linux

Bests
JT

PS: replying to the list as I thought I did the first time :P