[Xen-users] Re: Cloning a Windows VM

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 01:01:40AM +0200, Artur Linhart - Linux communication
wrote:
> Hello,
>
>       Is it impossible just to create new logical volume of the same size
> with lvcreate and simply copy with dd all bytes from the old LV to the new
> one and only modify the configuration file to read from the new physical
> device? (or to create the modifiable snapshot logical volume) I think this
> could work - the partition itself should know nothing about the physical
> location where and how it really runs... Or am I wrong?
>
>       With regards,
>
>               Archie

 That's the brute force method, which is what I am doing now. But it takes too
long, and you needlessly copy all the blanks in the file system to the new
location. Also, you need the ability to resize the partition, so that's not a
solution. For instance, I want to clone a 2GB windows into a 4GB lvm. How do I
go about it?

 Thanks for the response.