RE: [Xen-users] Windows licensing for Xen

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 17:32 +0200, Petersson, Mats wrote:
> [...]

You can get OEM licenses if your a qualified distributor, or happen to
be good friends with one. Selling the use of Windows guests wouldn't cut
it as 'distributor' in the Microsoft book, at least the last time I
asked.

You can get subscriptions, like you would internally but those prohibit
you from distributing. If these are just for internal use, that might be
a bit cheaper for you in the long run.

Your best bet is to make friends with the OEM guy and avoid having to
get 10 - 15 of them when you only need 3.

The last time I asked them, they did not make a cheaper version of the
license just for use with virtual machines, but that may have changed.

As Mats said, OEM is Microsoft for SOL unless its the _installer_itself_
that is breaking. So it may still be of use to you, not sure, and not
sure if they closed that loop. If you call them, you might not want to
mention Xen. Nothing says you have to, tell them its a [processor type]
PC with [memory=], front says "PC Concepts", is that a good brand? :)

Hope this helps
--Tim