RE: [Xen-users] Windows licensing for Xen

  • To: "Kevin DeGraaf" <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:32:51 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:31:51 -0700

Let me first say: I'm not a lawyer.

You do need A license (per virtual machine - I believe MS allows this to
be "per ACTIVE virtual machine", at least for Server versions of the OS,
so if you have two virtual machine installed, but only use one of them
at any given time, you need only ONE license).

There are differences in the support you get from MS whether you have an
OEM license or not, but I suspect for your purposes that won't matter:
The OEM license doesn't allow you to call MS directly to ask for
support. The retail version allows you (to some extent) to call MS
directly and get help. This probably won't make ANY difference if you
run Windows on top of Xen, as I suspect that MS will not support you in
either case (except on things that aren't difficult to solve where you
probably find better help via Google).

I think the reason that companies sell OEM edition only with hardware is
simply that the contract with MS says that "You're not allowed to sell
this without supplying hardware" - as the real idea of OEM version of
Windows is that it's installed by the OEM and supported by the OEM.

--
Mats