Re: [Xen-users] DomU with no state flags in "xm list"

Derek escribió:
Hi all,

(Sorry if this is a duplicate posting.  Having some mailer troubles,
and not sure if it went out earlier).

Anybody know what it means for a DomU to show up in the "xm list" as follows:

Name ID Mem VCPUs State Time(s) Domain-0 0 256 2 r----- 43929.3 Clonezilla 16 512 1 ------ 6.2

The domU "Clonezilla" does not have an "r" state flag, so it's not
running, but nor does it have any other flags such as b, p, s, c, or
d, so it's not blocked, paused, shutdown, crashed, or dying.  It's
just... nothing!  The Time remains fixed at 6.2 forever.

This is an HVM DomU that boots from drive "d", which is a clonezilla
live ISO CDrom image downloaded from Clonezilla.  The vga window shows
the inital boot menu of clonezilla, but the "Automatic boot in 30
seconds" counter never decrements, and the window ignores all mouse
clicks and keystrokes.

It was started with:

xm create clonezilla.hvm

I'm fairly sure clonezilla.hvm is OK, since I just copied an already
working HVM configuration file (one I use for win XP), and just
modified the disk=[...] and boot=[...] lines.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek.

Here's the config file:

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
  arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
  arch_libdir = 'lib'
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 512
name = "WindowsXP_Recover"
usb = 1
usbdevice = "tablet"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'file:/mnt/isos/special_boot_cds/clonezilla-live-1.0.3-18.iso,hdc:cdrom,r']
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
boot="d"
sdl=1
vnc=0
vncviewer=0
stdvga=1
serial='pty'
ne2000=0
audio=1
soundhw='all'
localtime=0

Derek.

Ok I got something similar to this some time ago.

I don't know why it happened exactly, but the point was that if I did not reserve an amount of memory for de dom0 when I started the domUs they ran out of memory.

So in the Grub file you have to set de dom0 memory to the least you can, and then the rest of memory stays free for the domUs. This is the way I solved it. I think It could be related to the way XEN frees memory for de domUs and I'm not concerned if it happens on every machine. It's just a hack to give a try.

I hope it helps you,

Regards
Miguel Araujo