Re: [Xen-users] Poor disk io performance in domUs

Tom,

Are the disk I/O numbers quoted below aggregate for all machines, or just for the mailserver.

so far we measured separately in dom0 and in the mail-domU.
The 20 MB/s happen as soon as there is concurrent io from two or more domUs.

Andrej

-- -- Tom Mornini, CTO -- Engine Yard, Ruby on Rails Hosting -- Support,
Scalability, Reliability -- (866) 518-YARD (9273) On Jun 20, 2007, at 10:49 PM,
Andrej Radonic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in a previously well behaving xen setup we are suddenly > experiencing massive loss of disk performance.
>
> Setup: two identical machines (dell, 2 quadcore cpus each, 8 GB RAM > each), attached to *one* SAS storagebox (Raid5 SAS disks), CentOS > 5, Xen 3.04 running three domUs each. > Storage partitions are exposed as block-devices to the guests. > Filesystem is ext3.
>
> Since a domU running a rather heavily loaded mailserver (many small > files, many reads/writes) has been added, io performance has > deteriorated significantly.
>
> In dom0 about 100 MB/s can be achieved, in domU only about 50 MB/s. > This looks even worse when there are massive concurrent / parallel > io jobs, then throughput goes down to 20 MB/s.
>
> During all this the cpus are mostly idle...
>
> Any ideas? I know some performance degradation is to be expected > but shurely not on this scale?
> Thanks,
> Andrej

interSales AG Internet Commerce
Andrej Radonic