Re: [Xen-users] Resizing Windows LVM makes it unbootable

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 10:53 +0530, Ligesh wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>    I have a working windows lvm of 1.62GB size. I just do an lvextend +1Gb on
> it, and then the Guest gets stuck at 'booting from harddisk' the initial
> stage. Is there something more I should do? I had tried getting it working
> with parted etc, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there some documentation on
> manipulating windows image files and the partitions inside them?
>
>    Thanks.

I don't know if qemu has a way to talk to ioctl inside of the guest from
the host, but when dealing with slices this is to be expected. I mean
outside of just passing sysrqs. I try to avoid slicing VBDs for this
reason.

In essence you made the universe bigger but forgot to inform the laws of
physics to take it into account. A better way to obviate that is to
consider the reverse, making the universe smaller while the old laws
still apply. If you had taken 1G, it would have been even worse.

Re-sizing a sliced block device is re-sizing many file systems at once.

Unless you have a tool that talks and listens to the ioctl API on every
file system on both ends, its really problematic. Its one of the biggest
reasons I really prefer PV guests is the complications they avoid.

You need to treat the drive on dom-0, and the sliced image residing on
that drive like they are two totally different drives unless you write a
lvresize tool kit with super powers and teach it about all known file
systems, even ones that don't lend at all to changing size.

Hope this helps,
--Tim