Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.1 - domU hangs just after "xm create"

25.06.07, 18:34, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> <>:

> [...]

Yes, the same kernel and the same initrd. I beleive XEN allows using same here
from some of 2.* versions, is not it? Initrd contains reiserfs driver - that's
quite enough to start booting. I suspect something wrong with my compiling and
installing XEN because domUs output NO lines to their consoles to suspect its
kernel.

> You may want to mount the sles.disk and use "mkinitrd" to create a new
> ramdisk from inside the sles.disk instead - that has uses the fstab of the
> sles.disk, etc.

> > cpus = "1"

> > vcpus = 2

> > memory = 256

> > name = "sles"

> > root="/dev/hda1 ro"

> > =====8<=====================

> > Of course, sles.disk is a reiserfs image containing unTARred

> > SLES9.3 64bit OS.

> I hope you don't use reiserfs on reiserfs here - as if you do and you ever
> need to "fsck" the underlaying disk, then you'll get problems - reiserfs uses
> a "magic word" to indicate where it starts it's filesystem, and finding
> another (same) magic word in the middle of the file-system is most certainly
> going to make things very confused when trying to figure out what's what.

I DO use reiserfs onto reiserfs. Sounds very strange - magics can confuse fsck?
Do you have some additional info on this behaviour? Some link or the like? It
would be interesting to look at.

> > The domain console outputs nothing but several spaces at the

> > very start and the domU hangs in a few (15-25) seconds.

> "Interesting". Not sure what that could be.

> > What are log files to analyze? What are 'debug' options?

> I'd start with "xm dmesg". If that's not saying anything useful, look at
> /var/log/xen/xend.log and .../xend-debug.log

Only following files present there:

domain-builder-ng.log

qemu-dm.25423.log

qemu-dm.3345.log

xen-hotplug.log

xm dmesg is very interesting, thank you. Seems that every attempt to launch a
domU yelds the following:

(XEN) mm.c:636:d0 Error getting mfn 100 (pfn 5555555555555555) from L1 entry
8000000000100125 for dom32753

Also I saw some other strange lines from "xm dmesg" like this:

(XEN) microcode: CPU6 not a capable Intel processor

Not sure whether they appear when I experiment with HVM domUs...

> These may also not contain anything useful - but it would be where I'd start
> trying to figure out what's wrong.

> > I managed to run dom0  which is behaving not so bad.

> > Only several 'segfault's in dmesg confuse me.

> Where are those segfualts from?

Well, I was trying to compile dev86 there and the ncc compiler sigfaulted. Also
irqbalance sigfaulted:

irqbalance[3258]: segfault at 0000000000528018 rip 00000000004016ba rsp
00007fff9cf9b8f0 error 4