Re: [Xen-users] trixbox through hvm woes

Forgive me if I'm not entirely coherent...  it's 7am and I've not slept yet
due to insomnia :-)

> > Try setting sdl=0 - it'll start an X11 window displaying the guest's
> > framebuffer.  If you don't have physical access to the dom0 you can
> > connect
> > to it using ssh -X so that X11 windows are forwarded to your local
> > machine.
>
> > Hopefully this'll allow you to select the correct option at the
> > bootloader...
> > Let us know how you get on.
>
> X isn't installed on the machine... on purpose. I reckon I should do
> anyway and rather specify sdl=1, no?

You could try it...  if you've got the necessary Xlibs / sdl installed you
don't actually need to have a full X11 install.

> The behaviour of vnc disconnecting upon first connection is pretty
> consistent. I guess I'm paying the price of trying to stick to
> packaged distributions (ubuntu feisty), rather than compiling
> everything myself.

Maybe the domain is crashing and that's making the display disappear?

> The road using para-virtualized domains isn't
> particularly well-paved either, as it seems to be the idea that Dom0
> and DomU should share the same kernel, and the feisty xen-tools
> package has no debootstrap feisty build target.

They don't need to share the same kernel, you can run whatever kernel you want
in the PV domain and either specify its location on dom0's filesystem in the
config file, or leave that entry blank and allow the guest to specify it
using a grub.conf.

It's also reasonably straightforward to either plug in a ready made domU
image, or deboostrap one manually, so don't necessarily let the tools put you
off.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.