Re: [Xen-users] Re: Is Anybody Running Xen in Production Environment

On Saturday 30 June 2007 13:39:52 James Harper wrote:
> > Just adding to the list of happy customers. I run about 70-80
> > SUSE domains on openSUSE 10.2, similarly hosting various development,
>
> QA
>
> > testing, demonstration and both critical and non-critical production
> > servers. Only problems we've had so far have been some hardware issues
> > totally non-Xen related and some problems with our own software, again
> > not Xen related.
>
> Just out of interest, did running Xen make the diagnosis of these issues
> any harder? Particularly the hardware side of things?
>
> I've just set up Xen 3.1.0 on a HP DL385, running Debian Etch in Dom0, a
> spam filter (Debian Etch), a secondary nameserver (Debian Etch), a
> second windows domain controller (Windows 2K3R2E), a small business
> server (Windows SBS2K3R2S), and a web server (Windows 2K3R2E). Currently
> Dom0 isn't running any of HP's (closed source binary afaik) monitoring
> stuff, and I'm not sure if there is going to be any value in trying to
> make it go...
>
> I guess my concern is that if a disk, fan, psu, or anything else fails
> or something, I don't yet have the tools to know about it (server will
> be in a colo facility). Are binary-only modules supported in Dom0? I
> suspect that there might be some problems...
Nops.. no modules from HP so far..

"RH EL 5 = Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
HP will issue a customer advisory for RH EL 5 Xen. HP has certified and will
support these servers listed below with the following caveats:

    * No HP management agent support
    * Greater than 64 GB system memory requires an updated kernel. Click here
for more information
    * Guest OS support is provided by Red Hat. For more information on
supported guest OS's, see: www.redhat.com "

from:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26854.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

We have 14 bl465c running a cluster of xen servers and so far so good :)
Still wainting on hp drivers though...

./npf