Re: [Xen-users] Re: Is Anybody Running Xen in Production Environment

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:39:52 +1000
"James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Just adding to the list of happy customers. I run about 70-80
> > SUSE domains on openSUSE 10.2, similarly hosting various
> > development,
> QA
> > testing, demonstration and both critical and non-critical production
> > servers. Only problems we've had so far have been some hardware
> > issues totally non-Xen related and some problems with our own
> > software, again not Xen related.
> >

> Just out of interest, did running Xen make the diagnosis of these
> issues any harder? Particularly the hardware side of things?
>
> I've just set up Xen 3.1.0 on a HP DL385, running Debian Etch in
> Dom0, a spam filter (Debian Etch), a secondary nameserver (Debian
> Etch), a second windows domain controller (Windows 2K3R2E), a small
> business server (Windows SBS2K3R2S), and a web server (Windows
> 2K3R2E). Currently Dom0 isn't running any of HP's (closed source
> binary afaik) monitoring stuff, and I'm not sure if there is going to
> be any value in trying to make it go...
>
> I guess my concern is that if a disk, fan, psu, or anything else fails
> or something, I don't yet have the tools to know about it (server will
> be in a colo facility). Are binary-only modules supported in Dom0? I
> suspect that there might be some problems...

In our particular case Xen has made no difference in this respect.
We're running this on Dell servers and all of the tools available to us
in our non-Xen Linux environments are available on our Xen servers too.
Unfortunately I don't know about the HP stuff you mention.

--
Mike
Web Site: http://www.ice2o.com

Telling the truth to people who misunderstand you is generally promoting
a falsehood, isn't it?
                -- A. Hope