Re: [Xen-users] is it possible to have 64bit HVM domU?

Imre Oolberg wrote:
> Hallo!

Hi.

> I am using on a system based on Debian GNU/Linux Etch on AMD64 platform
> Linux and Solaris running in a HVM domU but they both seem to be 32bit
> environments. I know so because 64bit Linux didnt boot and said
> something about am I trying to run it in 32 bit environment; and because
> i had to install 32bit Oracle because 64bit Oracle said it expected
> BIT_SIZE=64 and got BIT_SIZE=32. And also, to have under Solaris more
> than 4GB RAM i needed to add into domU config 'pae=1' option.

It's quite normal to have pae=1 set.  In a 32 bit guest, this is
absolutely neccessary in order to access > 4GB of RAM.

> Please tell me if there is a way to make HVM 64bit?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Imre Oolberg
>
> PS And also, could somebody explain to me how is this so that in domU
> witch runs in a full virtualization mode operation system is not seeing
> real hardware but qemulated hardware. Or is there a way instead of qemu
> to provide HVM domU real hardware?

There is no current way of passing the real hardware to a HVM guest.
There is work being done on it, but I don't know how far it's got.  My
earlier post on the same subject had a couple of links in, and a quick
Google showed something on the xen-devel mailing list.

> My hardware is HP 385 DL and domU configuration is
>
> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/boot/hvmloader"
> builder = 'hvm'
> device_model = '/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/bin/qemu-dm'
> memory  = '1024'
> vcpus = '1'
> name='domU-hvm-2'
> vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:3A:9E:7A, type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr2' ]
> disk = [ 'file:/data/domains/domU-hvm-2/disk.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]
> boot='c'
> vnc=1
> pae=1

I'm not sure what the defaults for pae, acpi and apic are in Xen 3.0.3,
but it seems likely they are 0.  You may have more luck by setting these
to 1, it's worth a try, but as another reply has said, you may have more
luck using a newer version of Xen.