[Xen-users] Re: xen RHEL5/x86_64 @everything installs hang on blocked state

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 09:48:47AM +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > I can do a RHEL5/x86_64 anaconda install into a dumU when I select a
> > few packages only. When I ask for a full install the vm does all the
> > depedency calculation and then blocks with "Starting install process.
> > This may take several minutes..."
> >
> > How can I debug this? How can I find out why the vm blocked? I know
> > it's a wait state, but that's all I know.
>
> In my former tests we realized a general instability of the
> Redhat/Fedora tools to run anaconda inside a DomU. Results where not
> always reproducible and often errors occured that could not easily be
> debugged.
>
> This seems to be a Fedora-specific issue (we tested a lot of
> distributions, and no install tools on no other distribution was that
> unreliable) - no wonder Redhat claims Xen to be a not so mature
> technology :)

Actually I found the cause and I strongly disagree with the above: The
reason the domU was blocking was because it didn't have enough memory
in the default setup. Once the memory limits were increased it worked
fine.

But the Old Maid is on xen: No matter what the issue on what
distribution I would expect some way to be able to diagnose and
identify reasons for blocking, at least to some extent.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net