Re: [Xen-users] baremetal to PV troubles (32/64 bit PV hybrid)

And mine! Thanks Tom.

Jon

Quoting Dylan Martin <dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Thanks!  That answers all my questions!

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Dylan Martin wrote:

>Thanks for answering!  I have loads more questions...
>
>Okay, I think I understand.  I'd use the 64 bit kernel & modules but
>the 32 bit libs, right?
>
>How does the 64 bit kernel know the userland is 32 bit?  Won't it try
>and find the 64 bit libs and freak out?

AFAIK, kernels don't find libraries... userspace programs do. The 64 bit
kernels provide all the 32 bit system calls (as long as the default option
to do that wasn't turned off when the kernel was built).

>Does it use memory like a 64 bit machine?

yes, raw memory allocation is a kernel thing.

>Is there any reason to run a 32 bit domU in a 64 bit dom0?

yes/no. 32 bit code is generally in more common use and better tested. If
you're using precompiled binaries you might not even have an option of
running 64 bit code. Or you might simply have a 32 bit install on a
physical machine that you want to move to a paravirt on a big machine
without rebuilding from scratch and consequently breaking things.

The one gotcha you will run into with the 32/64 bit hybrid is that some
kernel related tools can get upset (iptables being an example, the
simplest solution is to build a statically linked binary on a 64 bit
machine and copy that across to your 32 bit userspace domU)

-Tom