[Xen-users] Fastest way to run Windows on Xen non-HVM?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Adam Seering <aseering@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:07:37 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:05:36 -0700

Hi all,
I have a machine that's fairly nice (== not being upgraded soon), but whose processor is just a bit too old to run HVM. I need a bunch of 32-bit and 64-bit Linux VM's, and I'd really like to be able to run two or three Windows VM's as well, ideally at least one 64-bit.

AFAIK neither Xen nor VMWare can do this on this machine. (Pentium D 820 -> VMWare won't run 64-bit OS'es, even though it does support x86_64.) I'm wondering if anyone has found any combination of apps that can support anything like this. People have suggested that Win4Lin + Xen could theoretically work, but Win4Lin appears to basically be kqemu; it even loads a "kqemu" module. (it also crashes fairly quickly if I try to use it to install Win XP.)

If not: Has anyone looked into taking some of the kqemu code, and adding support to Xen for non-paravirtualized OS'es on hardware that can't do HVM? How easy/hard would it be?

Thanks,
Adam