[Xen-users] (Newbish Question) X windows in DomU using graphics card

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Bobby Coop <coopster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:28:35 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:26:23 -0700

I am trying to run X windows in a DomU guest using a nVidia card with
Xen-patched drivers.  My dom0 and domU are working and set up properly,
and I am using the pciback kernel argument to hide the video card from
the host and give it to the guest.  The host is using the motherboard
vga out, so the nVidia card isn't being touched at all at the time I
start the guest. The guest is able to load the nVidia driver with no
problems, but I can't get X to start, it keeps reporting that it can't
get a valid file descriptor for tty0.  How does one let a domU take the
active tty?

I've googled and read the posts on this list about running X in a domU,
and I've seen comments that mention that this should be possible, but
only if you run the dom0 on a serial terminal.  I've tried every method
using xencons and console kernel arguments to both the host and the
guest, but I'm completely stumped.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction for doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby Coop