Re: [Xen-users] Howto install domU CentOS 5 directly on partition

  • To: kanour-xen <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Liam Kirsher <liamk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:12:19 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:10:25 -0700

I used virt-install, and selected custom partitioning during the install
process, removing the LVM stuff and reducing it to one partition.  Then
the install proceeded fine.  That created my "template" OS, with a
single partition and no swap (ignore the warning about missing swap
during install).  That is created on a logical volume accessible from
dom0, can be mounted with kpartx and mount.

Now I just create logical volumes for data and swap, and copy (using dd)
the template to the data, mkswap on swap.
Then, mount the data volume, make a few changes, and just start it up.
I can send more details if you like, but I've got to run now.
It took me a *looooong* time to figure out exactly how to do it, but now
I can set up a new domU in less than ten minutes, and it´s easy to
access the domU files from dom0.

Liam

kanour-xen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am new to CentOS (Debian user) and I am looking for way how to
> install CentOS 5 on domU in the way that I have it directly on dom0
> LVM partition.
> If I install it with virtual-manager then the installation program
> takes that partition as a disk and then creates new partitions on it.
> I don't want it that way because I cannot then mount it from dom0.
>
> Is there some way how to install it directly on partition as for
> example in Debian with debootstrap?
>
> Thank you
>
> Jiri

Liam Kirsher