[Xen-users] help required with the configuration of a network appliance

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: My Email <turtlevelo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 04:23:38 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 04:24:11 -0700

I'm experimenting with Xen with the objective to build
an appliance where

 * dom0 is a very basic xen system (the smallest
possible Linux FC7)
 * dom1 a firewall on Linux
 * dom2 a content filter on Linux
 * dom3 a W2000 system

All domains are part of the same subnet.
The appliance will not have neither physical display,
nor keyboard or mouse.

Access to the appliance is only over the network via

 * SSH to access dom0 where I do not need any
windowing GUI
 * VNC over SSH for domU

I'm seeking help from this list with the following

 * I want to avoid to run X on dom0 console in order
to be able to use VNC for domU
 * what are the minimal graphical packages I need to
install on dom0
 * how do I configure dom0 and the various *.hvm domU
config file in order for each domU to use a distinct
vnc display number to which I can connect over the
network according to operational needs
 * the minimal secure configuration of dom0 knowing
that one of its ethernet interface is directly
connected to the router exposed to the Internet (the
second is connected to the internal LAN

Feel free to point me to docs showing the
solution/explaining how to implement what I need.

Thanks for your help,

Costa