Re: [Xen-users] domU kernels on Centos 5??

> > Boot those & it'll take you into anaconda. Once the anaconda install is
> > complete the guest filesystem will contain the suitable kernel/initrd for
> > running the live system. In dom0 use  bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub" to
> > boot the guest using the kernel/initrd from inside the guest filesytem
>
> Dan? Please look before you say things like this. He's not talking about
> the installation media, he's talking about the actual kernels on DomU's,
> as installed in /boot.
>
> RedHat doesn't publish kernel-xenU packages for RHEL 5, only kernel-xen
> packages. That's why he won't find one. The kernel-xen packages work
> fine: You could probably build your own optimized kernel-xenU, but I
> don't see much reason to do so. Do you?

A -xenU kernel can be a bit smaller, but I really don't think there's much
need to build them nowadays (unless you're building them a lot for testing
purposes and therefore want to speed up the build process).

If the OP is trying to setup a domU though, the most straightforward way of
doing so is probably to follows Dan's advince and ferret out the install
kernel / initrd from the install media, then boot those.  And then it's
possible to boot the guest using pygrub, which is more like having a native
system available.  This only works if your host system is using PAE (it
already is if it's CentOS / RHEL) because that's what the RH Xen kernels
require.

Of course, if your host is already CentOS / RHEL5 you could probably use
virt-install / virt-manager to install a domU, and this'll be taken care of
for you...

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.