Re: [Xen-users] how to retrofit DomU installation initrd w/ xennet/xenblk?

> The Guest boots, anaconda kicks off and prompts for installation media.
> However, no network protocol (http, ftp, nfs) may be used for the
> installation on account of the fact that the installer cannot locate any
> networking modules (xennet?).
>
> How do I retrofit the xen initrd available on the CentOS installation
> media to include the appropriate network modules? I need to support
> interactive, network based DomU installs.

It took me some time to get kickstarts working too, but here's what
finally did it for me:

kernel = "/boot/rhel5-amd64-ks-kernel.img"
ramdisk = "/boot/rhel5-amd64-ks-initrd.img"
extra = "selinux=0 ip=10.10.7.7 gateway=10.10.7.1 netmask=255.255.255.0
dns=dns,servers ks=http://path/to/kickstartfile ksdevice=eth0"
name = "hostnamehere"
memory = "512"
disk = [ 'tap:aio:/var/lib/xen/images/test2.img,hda,w', ]
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', ]
vcpus=1
on_reboot = 'destroy'
on_crash = 'destroy'

Those kernel and initrd images come right out of the directories you're
talking about (although RHEL for me, the CentOS images work the same).
If you aren't hosting your ks over HTTP, I'm not sure how you'd do this
exactly, but you could always do so and set it up with the "interactive"
flag turned on, which should allow you to specify installation media.

John

--
John Madden
Sr. UNIX Systems Engineer