[Xen-users] Re: Does it legal to analysize XEN source code and write a book about it ?

Tim Post wrote:
First, Xen is free software. While it is licensed under the GNU GPL
License,
it is free software. Please stop calling it open source. "Open Source"
is a misnomer. For a program to be free, its source is already considered to be "Open", but that is just one requisite. To also be free, you must be
able to
copy it, share it, package it and sell it yourself.

Some programs are open source but not free, many of them Microsoft
programs.
They have a developer network where members get a new set of CD's every
quarter
with new goodies on them that have source code included. This is open
source, not free. You can't share those programs or their source code, if you improve the code the only people you can share your imrpovements with is Microsoft.

Tim, while I agree with everything else you posted, your definition of "open source" doesn't match my understanding. Open source doesn't just mean that you can look at the source code.

That MS example you cited wouldn't be open source, as open source also requires that you are able to "copy it, share it, package it and sell it yourself".

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

The MS license you mention (there are others) is what they call "shared source". As far as I'm aware, no MS license has been approved by the OSI yet.

--
Cheers
Anton