Re: [Xen-users] Installing Centos5 into Solaris-Xen DomU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Sergey <seriv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:30:08 -0400

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> Sergey wrote:
>> I have posted in http://vireso.blogspot.com my notes about installing
>> Centos5 (from DVD image) into DomU on OpenSolaris Xen
>> (xen-nv66-2007-06-24).
>> Using OpenSolaris for Dom0 gives such advantage as zfs zvols for "phy"
>> devices in DomUs, so zfs snapshot & zfs send gives you incredible fast
>> and convenient full/incremental backup/restore of full DomUs.
>>

> Have you done some I/O benchmark tests?
> I'm using zfs-fuse, and quite frankly, performance sucks.
> Convinient backup/restore feature from zfs will be great if only it has
> (at least) half the performance of ext3 over LVM.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fajar

This is zfs-fuse "feature". Native zfs, according to available in the
net benchmarks and to my experience, are very fast. I don't understand
how they manage to do compression on the fly, checksum computation and
verification and at the same time throughput and seek time better than
that of ext3 on the same hardware.
-- Sergey.