Re: [Xen-users] are Xen 3.1.0 kernels CVE-2007-4573 vulnerable

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:

You suggest "using your distro-provided one" but of course Red Hat
only provides Xen 3.0.3, not Xen 3.1 which I need to run 64-bit host
and 32-bit (or 64-bit) clients.

NO, TRY FEDORA 8 / RAWHIDE WITH LASTED XEN 3.1

I believe kernels compiled for xen 3.0.3 can run on xen 3.1. So if you use :
- Xen 3.1
- RHEL5 as domU or dom0
- same 64-bit or 32-bit for Xen/dom0/domU

then you can use RHEL kernels.
When you need to run 32 bit domU on the above scenario, I'd prefer to
use 64-bit RHEL kernel with 32 bit userland.

Regards,

Fajar

I guess what I am really trying to get at is the following:
What, if anything, of the Xen code base is built into
the kernel rpms that redhat 5 and friends distribute as kernel-xen
(for instance, kernel-xen-2.6.18-8.1.14.el5, just released
to patch the vulnerability that started this thread).
Is there anything that's version specific?  Is there anything
that ties it to xen 3.0.3?  How can I look at the kernel config
files and tell the difference, if necessary?

I went and got the kernels from xensource that were compiled with
xen 3.1.0 because people on this list told me that this was required
to do what I wanted to do, namely 64bit dom0 plus 32bit PAE domU's.
I understand that a xen 3.0.3-compiled kernel could be a domU in this
setup but not a dom0.  Is this understanding wrong?

Steve Timm