[Xen-users] weird issues with xen, bridging, and apache

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: vahram <vahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:38:36 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:39:29 -0700

Hello,

I've had 2 separate problems today with one of our CentOS 5 machines
running Xen and Centos 5 domU's.  The machine has two network cards --
eth0 is a public IP, and eth1 is a 10.1.0.x IP.

I setup bridging by using:
(network-script my-network-script)
and
(vif-script vif-bridge)

The contents of my-network-script:

#!/bin/sh
dir=$(dirname "$0")
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0 netdev=eth0
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1 netdev=eth1

1st problem -- when the machine reboots, the peth* interfaces don't
get created, and I can't ping my DomU's from Dom0 and vice-versa.  I
have to shut down xen, run /etc/xen/scripts/my-network-script stop,
and then run /etc/xen/scripts/my-network-script.  Only then will the
proper interfaces get created, and everything will then work.  This
happens to be after doing a yum update (which installed a new xen
kernel and xen-libs), so I hope it has nothing to do with that....

2nd problem -- one of my DomU's has a public IP on eth0 and private IP
on eth1.  I can ping everything from everywhere.  If i'm on my private
network, i can telnet to port 80 on the domU and Apache will respond.
If I try to telnet to port 80 from outside the network over the public
IP, Apache will hang.  The request is recorded in Apache's log file,
but nothing is returned.  I tried completely disabling iptables and
running ethtool -K eth1 tx off and ethtool -K eth0 tx off, but that
doesn't seem to have done the trick.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Vahram