Re: [Xen-users] domU kernel

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 12:14:02AM -0400, IDAGroup - R.W.Muller wrote:
> Hi, I found lots of threads where people talk about domU kernel sitting
> in /boot of dom0.
> The only kernel I can see there is the one the machine and dom0 booted
> from (vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5xen)

Two places are common:
- domU-kernel placed on dom0-filesystem directly, 'kernel' option in xen-
  config for the domU is used then. Only possible for paravirt-domU.
  pros: - kernel is directly reachable from dom0
  cons: - domU depends on files outside of its disc-image, so you have to
          keep an eye of what domU uses what kernel-file
        - on upgrading the domU-kernel is a bit more complicated, keep
          kernel, maybe existing initrd and modules-directory in sync

- domU-kernel placed inside the domU-diskimage. Works for both HVM and
  paravirt-domU. One sees mostly this nowadays. Kernel is located/booted
  by pygrub (or a script mounting the partition, making a copy of the
  kernel inside to dom0, and starting it then)
  pros: - easy updating, i.e. just 'yum update' from the domU updates the
          kernel, initrd, modules and kernel is booted on next domU-boot

> PS: didn't mean to "flood" the mailing list, just lots of questions for
> a XEN beginner ..but will hopefully soon count to the answering
> and not asking guild.
Guess its all the same on mailinglists that 50% of the questions are
defaultish ones that are probably in faqs all around answered..

Christian