Re: [Xen-users] PV on Centos 5 64-bit

  • To: Jens-Petter Salvesen <jens-petter.salvesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:33:14 +0000
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:32:27 -0800

Jens-Petter Salvesen wrote:
Nico wrote:
Jens-Petter Salvesen wrote:
Hi,
I'm having a very difficult time getting paravirtualized Xen running on Centos 5 64bit and I'm hoping someone can spot what I'm doing
wrong.
I've been attemping to do this for a few days now and I'm really not seeing what I'm doing wrong. Here's what I've done: 1. Installed Centos 5 64-bit on the Dom0 2. Installed a fully virtualized DomU running Centos 5 64-bit.
3. Created a new configuration file that will create a
paravirtualized >
DomU
Why aren't you using virt-install? Did you want to duplicate the
virtual system entirely?

I would prefer to be able to select upon boot-time if the VM is going to
run as fully virtualized or paravirtualized. That would enable me to
evaluate both solutions. I thought that it was possible to just make two
different config files that boot two different kernels for the same VM?

To my understanding, a fully virtualized VM must _not_ run a xen-enabled
kernel while a paravirtualized VM _requires_ a compatible xen-enabled
kernel. Is this correct?
Oh, no. A fully virtualized VM can certainly run a Xen enabled kernel (barring some oddnesses with particular kernels). But the initrd certainly needs the right drivers to do so. I think you'll find that a fully virtual VM needs different device drivers than a para-virtualized one.

Also, if you're using pygrub, you don't have to state a kernel. I don't
know if it breaks things, but it's confusing at best.

I know. That kernel= statement is just a leftover from debugging.
Got it. One thing I've done when doing a restoration from a system image, to get the grub set up, is to delete the kernel from the guest domain and do a virt-install "upgrade" on top of it.