Re: [Xen-users] Slackware 12 DomU NIC increments on each start

On Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 13:21:58 -0000, Russell Packer wrote:

> The problem is that networking doesn't work properly. Each time I
> shutdown and restart, the NIC increments... eth0, eth1, eth2... I'm on
> eth12 right now! Once the system starts I can use ifconfig & route to
> assign an IP and a default gateway, and I get a network connection.
> Weird stuff.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what is going on / what I need to do? I just
> want my nice eth0...

  This is almost certainly udev being "helpful".

  If you don't have a special vif line each time your guest will
 receive a new MAC address for the nic.  The first time it boots
 udev will think "Hmmmm MAC xxxx thats new.  I'll call that eth0".

  The next time you boot you'll have a different MAC address so
 udev thinks "Hmmm this is new!  I'll call this eth1 in case that other
 one comes back...".

  Solution:  Setup a static MAC address in your Xen configuration
 file with something like:

    vif = [' mac=aa:bb:cc:dd::ee::ff' ]

  Once you've done that you can remove the stored mac addresses
 from /etc/udev/rules.d/ and all will be well.

  Failing that you could have random MAC addresses and just delete
 the relevant udev files. I  guess they will be called something like
 persistent-net-generator..

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.