Re: [Xen-users] Slackware 12 DomU NIC increments on each start

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Steve Kemp wrote:

On Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 13:21:58 -0000, Russell Packer wrote:

The problem is that networking doesn't work properly. Each time I
shutdown and restart, the NIC increments... eth0, eth1, eth2... I'm on
eth12 right now! Once the system starts I can use ifconfig & route to
assign an IP and a default gateway, and I get a network connection.
Weird stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on / what I need to do? I just
want my nice eth0...

 This is almost certainly udev being "helpful".

I suspect it's kudzu ... which IMHO is not really appropriate on domUs and should be disabled, but I don't like/trust automagic... With kudzu turned off (chkconfig kudzu off) and making sure there is no MAC= line in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file, you should be ok even if the mac address is changing.... at least this is true for my old and new redhat based systems. -Tom