Re: [Xen-users] PV Drivers in Linux HVM DomU?

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 06:48:26PM +0100, Emre Erenoglu wrote:

> > > Yes,  however, my DomU crashes on boot with the PV kernel. I couldn't
> > find
> > > why.
> > >

> > What dom0 distribution are you using?
> >
> > Are xen/kernel packages provided by the distribution or self compiled?
> >

> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with 2.6.22-14-xen as Dom0. Packages are provided by
> the distribution.

OK.

Afaik Xen in Ubuntu (and in Debian) is not very well tested..

> > What is your domU distribution? Is the domU PV kernel from the
> > distribution, or self compiled?
>

> DomU is Pardus 2007.2. It has default kernel 2.6.18-8, but as I wanted
> paravirtualization, I was using Ubuntu's 2.6.22-14-xen. The crash started
> with this release kernel. when Ubuntu was beta, I was able to use
> 2.6.22-12-xen without problems.
> Pardus 2007.2 is able to work with Ubuntu 2.6.22-14-generic kernel (on bare
> metal) without problems. It used to be working as DomU with
> 2.6.22-12-xenbut not anymore with
> 2.6.22-14-xen. I filed a bug report 1 month ago, no answer yet.
>
> I switched to VMWare for the moment until I resolve this issue, VMWare disk
> performance is not good even if I enabled PV support (VMI).
>
> Therefore, my aim now is to use standard Pardus kernel 2.6.18-8, but compile
> PV drivers for use with Dom0 (Ubuntu 7.10 2.6.22-14-xen, Xen 3.1)

I have never heard of Pardus before :) So I can't comment about it or it's
support for Xen..

I would recommend you to use RHEL, CentOS, SLES, Opensuse or Fedora.. those
distributions are known to ship Xen and work to make it stable/usable..

Get for example Fedora 8, use it on both dom0 and on domU, and you should get
things working well..

RHEL 5.1 or CentOS 5.1 should be good choises too..

-- Pasi