Re: [Xen-users] [SECURITY] preventing Hwaddr spoofing on bridge

Igor Chubin schreef:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 04:02:46AM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Is there a way to prevent hwaddr/mac address spoofing between DomU's?
>

> So in a way 'binding' a mac-address on boot time with a virtual
> interface? (with something like ebtables/arptables/etc?)
>

>> As far as I understand,
>> you can solve your task with ebtables you have mentioned.
>

>> Why do you refuse to use it?

I don't refuse to use it... I can break out of it with my current
configuration.

Could you post a rule set that binds an VIF to the known Xen MAC behind it?

Andy Smith schreef:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 04:02:46AM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> Is there a way to prevent hwaddr/mac address spoofing between DomU's?
>
> I use ebtables alone to do this.  I have the list of MAC addresses
> and IP addresses for each domU in a database, and from that I build
> an ebtables ruleset.  ARP replies from a MAC that does not
> correspond with its assigned IPs are dropped and logged.

It is *not* the IP addy that borks. It is a duplicate mac address in the
bridge. So I 'virtually' take over a MAC address belonging to someone
else on the bridge. Binding an IP address to a MAC address is too simple.

Full example:
Host 1 has mac

Host 2 knows about mac Host 1
Host 2 brings his interface down
Host 2 changes his mac to the mac of host 1
Host 2 brings his interface up. [breaks traffic to Host 1]

Now imagine Host 2 knows about all the macaddresses on the bridge and
does this in a loop...

Stefan