Re: [Xen-users] monitoring with MRTG

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:50:33 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:21:03 -0800

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 05:47:38PM +1100, James Harper wrote:
> Has anyone written any MRTG scripts for monitoring domain CPU usage?

I have written scripts to dump cpu usage to a file, which I then
monitor with cacti.

> It's probably pretty simple to do, but there's not much point
> re-inventing the wheel.

It's very simple, so much so that there's not much point in
publishing it:

- Periodically (e.g. every 5 minutes) parse the cpu time out of
  xm list --long.  That is a simple counter.  MRTG and other
  monitoring software knows how to turn ever-increasing counters into a
  rate of increase.

- Take the rate of increase in e.g. CPU milliseconds per 5 minutes,
  and divide that by 300,000 (the number of milliseconds in 5
  minutes).  That leaves you with percentage CPU use of every
  domain.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Andy