[Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] network-bridge does not create veth or peth devices]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] network-bridge does not create veth or peth devices
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:42:25 +0100
From: Ingard Mevåg <ingardm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Luciano Rocha <strange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Luciano Rocha wrote:
On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 01:52:34PM +0100, Ingard Mevåg wrote:
 Hi

 I am trying to install xen (64bit) on a Dell PowerEdge 2900.

 The installation process was something like the following:

 -----
apt-get install iproute bridge-utils python-twisted binutils zlib1g-dev python-dev transfig bzip2 screen ssh debootstrap libcurl3-dev libncurses5-dev x-dev build-essential gettext python-pyopenssl python-pam python-xml latex tetex-extra tetex-base texlive-latex-recommended

 hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.1-testing.hg
 cd xen-3.1-testing.hg/

 make world
 make install

 apt-get install yaird
 mkinitrd.yaird -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-xen 2.6.18-xen
 update-rc.d xend defaults 20 21
 update-rc.d xendomains defaults 21 20

 nano -w /boot/grub/menu.lst
 # edited the following:

 ## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
 # xenhopt=dom0_mem=512M com1=9600,8n1 vcpus=1
 ## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
 # xenkopt=console=tty0 maxcpus=1 console=ttyS0,9600n8

 update-grub
 -----

 after a reboot everything looks just fine, except:

ifconfig shows only a xenbr0, no peth or veth.. The network works, creating a guest with xen-tools works, however the bridging is weird:

 -----
 $brctl show
 xenbr0          8000.00188b82f742       no              eth0
                                                         vif1.0
 -------

Good. I was tired of Xen's insistence in veth/peth for no good reason.
Bridge in Linux has always been done by setting a bridge and add the
real IP to it.

At most, Xen could rename the bridge to the real interface name, but I
never saw the point on adding another path (veth) to the network.

I installed debian minimal, maybe there are some packages that needs to be there in order to get this to work which i might have missed?

Why do you want veth? I've always used my own network-bridge script, and
not using veth prevented some problems and brought none.

i've never seen the veth/peth devices as a problem, but for starters, if
they were there, it would help alot in manouvering through the new API
(which i kinda need)

ingard