[Xen-users] SDL makes me crazy (AARHHRG!!)

Hi all,

I am now trying since days to get SDL working for my Windows HVM. I think the
problem I have is that I have no framebuffer device /dev/fb0 in Dom0 but I'm
not sure.
Is that required for SDL to work? My expectation is - call xm create from out
of an x-session running on top of Dom0 and wait for a window appearing on my
x-screen :0.0 with the HVM DomU inside booting ... *dream ... dream on*

What I did:
- installed gentoo 2007 + xen-sources-2.6.20-r6 kernel.
- configured the kernel for Dom0 manually (I assume I dont need frontend
virtual vesa for this? Tried anyhow with and without ...)
- at the beginning X wont work with my Laptop (intel 965GM graphics) on DOm0
since the chipset was not supported yet in 2.6.20 - so I applied
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/8/102
- finally X does start now on my Dom0 with "intel" as xorg device driver and I
get a ugly basic XConsole + twm @ 1680x1050 24 bits via 915resolution on my
Laptop Display

Anyhow, when I run "xm create -f /root/winxp" it does not want to start.
The qemu-dm log reports: "could not initialize SDL"

This is not really telling me anything so I modified ioemu's  sdl.c to report
the SDL_GetError() and it is: "No available video device".
Ok, but my X-Server is running with the intel driver so why the helldoes it not
find a video device?!

So I thought maybe it needs an /dev/fb0 which I do not have in my Dom0.
First test "hwinfo --framebuffer" looks quite fine - so why the hell is there
no fb0 device?

I have no UDEV issue - I triple checked. manual mknod does not help either.
When I just reboot into a non xen 2.6.22 gentoo kernel and use video=vesafb
vga=0x31b it works well and I get an fb0 framebuffer device in /dev and a
1280x1024 text console.

I tried:
- vesafb - does not even show up in dmesg
- vesafb-tng - does not work (I have 64bit - will try uvesafb later)
- intelfb - does  show up in dmesg but doesn't really load successfully - I
modified the the source to teach it the pci id of my intel 965GM chipset GPU -
looks better but still creates no /dev/fb0 - I didn't care since intelfb does
not even work for my laptop with the latest gentoo kernel (unxenified)
- tried video=vesafb vga=0x31b xcons=xvc console=xvc0 console=tty1 as boot
arguments for the dom0 kernel - no fb0 in DOM0

I would be able to provide log and config files but I am sure they are correct.

Maybe my basic understanding of the xen Dom0 console stuff is wrong. If I
google around I would imagine console framebuffer in Dom0 should work as it
does anywhere else.
So my last hope was that vesafb between 2.6.20 (the latest gentoo xen dom0
kernel) and 2.6.22 the latest gentoo native kernel was changed somehow so that
it does not work for my GPU in 2.6.20 but does work in 2.6.22 - but diff was
very quiet. And also LKML or kernel org did not say anything about vesafb
updates.

In a last attempt I was going to try to patch a 2.6.22 kernel with xen but the
large amount of work let me stop right after I attempted one unsuccessful
fast-try.

Anything that I've missed? I hope so since I am really new in "Linux as
Desktop" so I am not really sure if my undestanding of sdl xorg and
framebuffers is correct.
Or is my Hardware just too new for the xen dom0 kernel?