Re: [Xen-users] CentOS 4.0 as guest OS

  • To: "Luke S. Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>, mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "rishi pathak" <mailmaverick666@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 11:27:12 +0530
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:58:00 -0800

Hi ,
The problem is that we have got a high speed interconnect and the driver for it was compiled for 2.6.9-5 EL.
We have got only binaries of the driver and not source.For this reason we have to stick to the said kernel.

Let me explain the scenario/problem for which we need virtualization.We have a compute cluster with nodes having 8GB of memory.The nodes are all dual socket single core Intel Xeon.The driver for high speed interconnect can only work with 4GB of available RAM(i.e. it cannot see more than 4GB).If I restrict RAM to 4GB then it would be a wastage.So the solution that came up was to divide node into two virtual machine and assign high speed interconnect to one virtual machine.Both machines will have 4GB.

On 12/4/07, Luke S. Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, rishi pathak wrote:
> I have got fedora Core 7 installed as a host OS.
> My requirement is to run CentOS 4.0 as a guest OS.
> I have got the kernel source(2.6.9-5EL) , but I am unable to figure out how
> compile the kernel for domU.
> I apologize if this had been answered earlier.This is my first post.

I don't know of a CentOS4.0/RHEL4.0 kernel patched to work with xen;
XenSource had some 4.4 kernels in the 3.0.2 days.  If you can upgrade to
CentOS 4.5, it comes with Xen DomU kernels out of box.

--
Regards--
Rishi Pathak