Re: [Xen-users] Windows XP on Linux domain0

On Di, Dez 11, 2007 at 06:24:36 +1100, Szabolcs Feczak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Suse 10.3 with Xen 3.1
> Installed Windows XP on the top of it on the AMD 64 X2 dual core cpu with svm
> flag
> installation went fine, however after using the guest XP os
> I have realized that during coping files and installing software onto the
> virtual windows the CPU load jumps continuously to 100%
>
> I have moved the guest os image file to a raw partition with dd onto a
> secondary physical
> device, which resulted in a bit of performance improvement, but the CPU is
> still used
> above 90 percent during I/O operations ... running the same copy test scenario
> on a vmware box was eating up "only" about 40-60% fluctuating ...
>
> The disks are sata 3g/s ...
>
> Anybody else has similar problems, any hints would be appreciated
> even how to look for the source of the problem ...

This is due to the fact that Windows runs in a HVM domain,
so I/O devices (and particulary disk controllers)
should be emulated.

A solution of the problem could be paravirtual drivers
for Windows HVM domain, which bypass emulation layer and
save great part of CPU resources.

There are no stable opensource Xen PV-drivers for Windows.
But there are unstable drivers which you can download and try
to play with it [1].

Also there are proprietary PV drivers for Windows,
which are included to the proprietary versions of Xen
(e.g. to the XenExpress by XenSource).

[1]
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alists.xensource.com+James+Harper+drivers

> Thanks