Re: [Xen-users] Re: IOMMU capable hardware

On Do, Dez 13, 2007 at 08:49:26 +0100, Joop Boonen wrote:
> Is this the IO-MMU in the form:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOMMU
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/34434.pdf
> http://www.intel.com/business/technologies/idc_virtualization_wp.pdf

I'm aware of the links, but there is no information
about models, chipsets and so on.
Only common information.

> I've always understood that this form is not available yet. Only some time
> in around 2009. Is this correct?

I had opinion like yours, but after I have googled about IOMMU,
I have found many posts in different forums and mail lists,
in which people discuss how to disable IOMMU in their hardware
how to bypass problems related to it, and so on,

and now I think,
may be IOMMU is available already?

> On Thu, December 13, 2007 5:39 am, Mark Williamson wrote:
> >> Mark you have written
> >>
> >> [cut]

> >> [/cut]
> >>

> >> Is this hardware available on the market today?
> >> And if it is, where can we read the list of this hardware?
> >
> > Intel's VT-d technology includes and IOMMU.  I *think* you can now
> > purchase
> > motherboards which include it but I'm not 100% sure.  I wouldn't know
> > which
> > models either, too be honest.  Xen-unstable already has preliminary
> > support
> > for this and uses it to do PCI passthrough to HVM guests.  VT-d for PV
> > guests
> > is not yet supported.
> >
> > Knowing Intel there probably is / will be a list of VT-d boards on their
> > website at some point.
> >
> >> Or may be plans about release of such a hardware?
> >
> > AMD are also bringing out IOMMU hardware but I know less about this.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
> >

> > --
> > Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat?  And no pedals!
> > Mark: To answer a question with a question: What use is a skateboard?
> > Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
> > Mark: My wheel has a wheel!

WBR, i.m.chubin