Re: [Xen-users] xen dom0 server freezes every one or two hours

Hi,

Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Do, Dez 20, 2007 at 04:35:50 +0100, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I switched to a xen kernel on a HP DL 365, running openSUSE 10.3,
x86_64.
> > The HP DL 386 is a amd64 based machine.
> >
> > I had to add a swiotlb=16 kernel parameter into grub.conf, to get the
> > kernel running at all.
> >
> > I have 4 virtual hosts running on the machine, also openSUSE 10.3,
x86_64.

> > I have two physical interfaced bonded together, then I have 10 vlan
> > interfaces
> > on top of the bond0 interface. The vlan interfaces are each connected to
> > bridge, one bridge for every vlan. Each of the four machines has 10
> > eth interface, that are connected to each of the bridges.
> >
> > Further I have several phy: disks from SAN configured handed over to the
> > virtual machines.
> >
> > Setup and test of the hosts went fine, but when under load, then after
an
> > hour or two, the server just freezes.
> >
> > from time to time I see messages like this in the
dom0 /var/log/messages:
> > blkback: ring-ref 4882, event-channel 15, protocol 1 (x86_64-abi)
> > blkback: ring-ref 4883, event-channel 16, protocol 1 (x86_64-abi)
> >
> > Don't know, what the meaning of them is, as far as I could find out via
> > googling, it must have sth. to do with networking.
>

> Hello,
>
> one of my associates have said that he has similar problem.
> Network hangs from time to time,
> and only in case when he uses virtual network configuration
> with VLANs. He has tried to reproduce the error but without
> success.
>
> The error appears in random fashion.
> At least we can't find the cause of the problem.
>
> Yes, he also reported that there were messages in the Xend log file
> in the same time as network was hanging (approximately same as he
> said; he didn't manage to find exact time):
>
> blkback: ring-ref 9, event-channel 5, protocol 1 (x86_32-abi)
> blkback: ring-ref 8, event-channel 4, protocol 1 (unspecified, assuming
native)

at least I haven't yet recognized a hanging network. I just saw these
messages, and thought it might be related to the more serious freezes theat
I encounter every some hours. But I'll take a look in the xen log files when
these messages appear again. thanks for pointing out.

Sebastian

> > further, on startup of the dom0, I see the following
in /var/log/boot.msg,