Re: [Xen-users] xen dom0 server freezes every one or two hours

Sebastian Reitenbach schrieb:
Hi,

Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Do, Dez 20, 2007 at 04:35:50 +0100, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
Hi,

I switched to a xen kernel on a HP DL 365, running openSUSE 10.3,
x86_64.
The HP DL 386 is a amd64 based machine.

I had to add a swiotlb=16 kernel parameter into grub.conf, to get the kernel running at all. I have 4 virtual hosts running on the machine, also openSUSE 10.3,
x86_64.
I have two physical interfaced bonded together, then I have 10 vlan interfaces on top of the bond0 interface. The vlan interfaces are each connected to
bridge, one bridge for every vlan. Each of the four machines has 10 eth interface, that are connected to each of the bridges. Further I have several phy: disks from SAN configured handed over to the virtual machines.

Setup and test of the hosts went fine, but when under load, then after
an
hour or two, the server just freezes.

from time to time I see messages like this in the
dom0 /var/log/messages:
blkback: ring-ref 4882, event-channel 15, protocol 1 (x86_64-abi)
blkback: ring-ref 4883, event-channel 16, protocol 1 (x86_64-abi)

Don't know, what the meaning of them is, as far as I could find out via googling, it must have sth. to do with networking.
Hello,
one of my associates have said that he has similar problem.
Network hangs from time to time, and only in case when he uses virtual network configuration
with VLANs. He has tried to reproduce the error but without
success.

The error appears in random fashion.
At least we can't find the cause of the problem.

Yes, he also reported that there were messages in the Xend log file
in the same time as network was hanging (approximately same as he
said; he didn't manage to find exact time):

blkback: ring-ref 9, event-channel 5, protocol 1 (x86_32-abi) blkback: ring-ref 8, event-channel 4, protocol 1 (unspecified, assuming
native) at least I haven't yet recognized a hanging network. I just saw these messages, and thought it might be related to the more serious freezes theat I encounter every some hours. But I'll take a look in the xen log files when these messages appear again. thanks for pointing out.

Sebastian

further, on startup of the dom0, I see the following
in /var/log/boot.msg,
don't know whether this is a problem:

Starting udevd done
doneActivating swap-devices in /etc/fstab...
donemount: according to mtab, /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 is already mounted on /

NOTE: scsidev is obsolete and the udev generated persistent device names
 under /dev/scsi/by-id/ (od by-path) should be used instead.
Scanning SCSI devices and filling /dev/scsi/ done
Activating device mapper...
done
Creating multipath targets:device-mapper: create ioctl failed: Device or resource busy
device-mapper: create ioctl failed: Device or resource busy
device-mapper: create ioctl failed: Device or resource busy
device-mapper: create ioctl failed: Device or resource busy

The dom0 is started this way from GRUB:
# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Fri Dec 14 15:03:43 CET 2007
default 0
timeout 8
##YaST - activate

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: xen###
title XEN -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.13-0.3
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=390M
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.13-0.3-xen root=/dev/disk/by-id/cciss-3600508b1001030343620202020200001-part1
vga=0x317
resume=/dev/cciss/c0d0p5 splash=silent showopts swiotlb=16
    module /boot/initrd-2.6.22.13-0.3-xen

uname -a
Linux srv4 2.6.22.13-0.3-xen #1 SMP 2007/11/19 15:02:58 UTC x86_64
x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

rpm -qa | grep xen
xen-3.1.0_15042-51
kernel-xen-2.6.22.13-0.3
xen-doc-html-3.1.0_15042-51
xen-libs-3.1.0_15042-51
xen-tools-3.1.0_15042-51
xen-doc-pdf-3.1.0_15042-51
xen-tools-ioemu-3.1.0_15042-51

I also had powersaved stopped, acpi stopped, ntp stopped (I found a
thread
where someone had
a problem with clocks walking backward and dying xen server), but so
far,
the box still freezes
without any notice in the logs.

Any idea what could be the problem I have or where should I take a
further
look to figure out what causes the problem of the freezing server?

kind regards
Sebastian

WBR, i.m.chubin

Hi,

same problem here and it can be reproduced. I use Gentoo 2007.0 with Xen 3.1.2 and kernel 2.6.22 (xen-sources) in 64bit mode.
The Server is a Dual Opteron 275 running in PV mode.
The Dom0 freezes every time if you generate system high-load, for example starting a boinc-client or doing big filesystem transfers.
-> Network hangs, SATA Devices time out

Normally the system freezes every 2 hours.
I tried to play with the Xen version compatibility in the kernel, but that doesn't make a difference.

Due to the HDD timeout I can't find anything in the logs...

kind regards

Dirk