Re: [Xen-users] paravirt_ops DomU, does it mean performance?

> > The paravirt_ops kernel should run with similar performance to the
> > XenLinux kernel from the main Xen tree. ÂIt includes paravirtualisation
> > for memory, SMP, etc as well as paravirtualised network and block
> > devices. ÂIt doesn't include support for suspend/resume, paravirt
> > framebuffer, etc.
>
> When you say 'paravirt framebuffer', do you mean console performance is
> going to be as bad as for HVM?

Well, more that it doesn't have a graphical console at all!  Paravirt guests
can't use the emulated framebuffer that HVM uses, they have to use a paravirt
framebuffer if they want to output graphically.  The paravirt framebuffer
doesn't perform significantly better than the HVM console as far as I know,
so not having it available may not be too painful to you...

You can still take the usual approach of using a network-based remote desktop
approach, which is likely to give you better performance than either the HVM
framebuffer or the paravirt framebuffer!

Using VNC or X11 over SSH is probably the obvious remote desktop solution, but
I think that nomachine X (or freenx, if you can make it work) might be worth
a look as well.  Nomachine have a "free" product but I'm not sure what the
licensing restrictions are.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.