Re: [Xen-users] multiple dom0s (was: Re: [Xen-devel] ragarding xen in sles10)

> On Sun December 9 2007 8:59:02 pm Mark Williamson wrote:
> > c) compile pciback statically into the kernel and then put a pciback.hide
> > directive onto your kernel command line and reboot
>
> CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND=y
> CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=m
> CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=m
> CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=m
> CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_VPCI=y
>
> I have the above in my fedora xen kernel. Is that sufficient. (BTW, SuSE
> has the first line as 'm' also.)

This means that the PCI backend is built as a module (the additional
XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_VPCI=y is just configuring an option, not building
something statically into the kernel).

You can still use PCI passthrough like that, but just putting pciback.hide on
your kernel command line won't work - you'd need to pass them to the module
at load time.  Whatsmore, you need to make sure that pciback is able to claim
those devices, which is only possible if they're not bound to another driver.
So either you need to make sure pciback is loaded before other drivers for
the hardware, or you need to unbind the hardware from whatever driver has
grabbed it and then rebind it to pciback.

There are some instructions at:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_as_module
which may help you.  I've not actually tested them myself but last time I
looked through them they looked fairly sane.

You ought to make sure you're familiar with the drawbacks and limitations of
PCI passthrough before deploying it in production, as there are a few fairly
significant caveats (e.g. that the domain with PCI hardware is effectively as
privileged as dom0, since it can probably abuse that hardware to take over
the machine if it acts maliciously).  VT-d will probably help mitigate some
of these limitations eventually - support for VT-d with HVM domains is
already in xen-unstable, but not for PV yet, I think.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!