Re: [Xen-users] Xen domU version compatibility questions

> > I don't know of any showstoppers for doing this with either Windows or
> > Linux guests (whereas if you used an older Xen, say 3.0.3, then HVM ACPI
> > wasn't available and that's likely to cause more problems).
>
> I've always thought power save was an acpi function but my Windows hvm
> guest doesn't provide a power settings button on the screensaver tab of
> Explorer's Properties dialog. (fc8 compiles xen.gz  from 3.1.0 rc7 sources,
> but recently updated the tools to 3.1.2)

ACPI is involved in powersaving stuff but it's used for a load of other things
as well.  It's used to set up SMP and interrupts, to support those funny
extra buttons you get on laptops, to get information about docking
stations ...  It's actually quite a scary and complex piece of technology and
I don't understand it well at all.

I seem to recall that Windows doesn't make it easy to switch on / off ACPI
support, hence switching to an older Xen version that doesn't have it having
installed Windows on a newer version is likely to upset things.  Not an issue
for normal use.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.