[Xen-users] OpenSUSE 10.3, Xen 3.1.0 and aic79xx on x86_64 - trouble...

Hi,

I'm having 'a little' trouble with the above mentioned combination - the system freezes completely when I'm using hard drives connected to the aic79xx controller.

Now if I boot the non-xen kernel, the system seems OK and runs fine - I can do all kinds of stuff with SCSI drives - like creating a software RAID1, making an ext3 filesystem on it, rsync-ing a bunch of files over a network, running bonnie++ - it just works.

But when I boot xen and the xen kernel, the system runs fine as long as I don't actually use SCSI drives (for testing purpose I added a SATA drive for the OS). T

he driver loads OK, it finds and reports SCSI drives and all seems to be 'well'. But when I use SCSI drives, such as activating and resyncing the RAID1 (created before) or if I try to create a filesystem on one of the SCSI disks - the system will freeze solid.

It doesn't always happen at the same 'stage' - sometimes it freezes as soon as I run 'raidautorun', sometimes I can start the RAID1 array, even mount it and try running bonnie++ - but it eventually freezes anyway.

It doesn't tell any errors, it doesn't accept any keystrokes - the only thing I can do is power-cycle the server (which BTW is an IBM xSeries 226 - 8488-3DG with two Xeon 3GHz processors, 2GB RAM QLA2340 FC adapter, updated to -AFAIK- latest BIOS and firmware - nope, it has no VT).

The server has been in use for a year or so and has been working OK. The motherboard has been replaced once as it died completely, but there was nothing (else) leading me to suspect another hardware failure.

I was Google-ing around and only related discussions date back to 2005 and xen-2.x.x.

The AIC79XX in non-Xen environment seems to be as stable as it gets - discussions about aic79xx problem date back to 2004 or earlier.

Has anyone any idea what I can do to make this work (short of using a different server)? Any 'undocumented' or not-so-obvious xen boot options? Maybe aic79xx driver options?

Anything?

 Thanks, Danilo