Re: AW: [Xen-users] PV- Drivers for Windows (XP, 2003 Server)

Feichtinger Günter wrote:

Thanks a lot for so much answers.
After I have read them, I wonder if anybody use Windows guest in OpenSource-
Xen enviroment for productiv-systems.
Because without PV drivers IO- and network performance is not really the best.

I do, for software build and testing. It works *really* well. My regressions on HVM W2K run at 70% of their speed on unvirtualised Linux (with identical hardware), and builds run at about 40% - 50% full speed (these are aggregate results - when I run Bison during the build, for example, it runs at about 1 - 2% speed). So, my choice is:

1 - maintain a Windows box for testing, which runs builds/regressions at 100% speed

2 - throw away the Windows box, virtualise Windows in a 10GB partition on a Linux machine, and run my software at 40% - 70% full speed.

It's a no-brainer. Besides, my desktop Windows box is about 7 years old, so it might have a 200MHz Pentium in it, and that works fine for Word/Excel/Firefox etc. My HVM Windows runs on current hardware, so is probably ~10 times faster to start with.

Of course, I haven't tried running Word/Excel/etc under HVM.. :)

Evan