Re: [Xen-users] Re : xen on Debian Etch : problem resolved !!!

Dear Guillaume,

gthiery@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I told you yesterday evening that I had succeeded to create a new domU
> using xen-tools but while launching this domU I had an error : the system
> tried to access to my dom0 filesystem, according to what I've seen on the
> console writings. The domU filesystem was hda1 and hda2 and the system
> tried to access to sda5 wich correspond to my dom0 filesystem.
> I have succeeded in launching a domU that I had configured in another
> method : I have copied the most important directories of the dom0
> filesystem to my domUdisk-image and launched it (I've seen that on the
> french wiki) but the configuration was not totally clear and for commercial
> purpose it isn't good to have this type of configuration. But I have
> compared the two config files and seen that in the config file which was
> working there was no initrd statement, although there was one in the config
> file made by xen-tools. I then removed the initrd statement in the
> xen-tools config-file and it works !!!
> Now I think that the initrd file, which was made according to my dom0
> filesystem caused the problem and that's why I had seen som references to
> my dom0 filesystem...
>
> For your information : the first method I have used (copying the whole
> filesystem to the domU disk-image) worked but at each reboot of the domU
> the ethernet interface was increased by one, I tell you this because I've
> seen this some days ago on the mailing list, sorry I have'nt the mail under
> my eyes so I cannot tell you when. Hawaver the xen-tools domU doesn't have
> it's ethernet interface increasing at each reboot...

Are you using a fixed MAC-address for your network interface?
Something like this:
vif=[ 'mac=AA:00:00:00:01:01,bridge=...]

Please use a fixed MAC for your interface and your ethxx wont increase
anymore.
if you need a certain ethxx you can create a udev rule something like:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="00:60:dd:47:80:dc",
IMPORT="/lib/udev/rename_netiface %k eth0"

Stefan Berner