[Xen-users] Xen over SuSE 10.3 - Can't find drive to boot with...

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Pyrrhic <pyrrhicv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:25:28 -0800 (PST)
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:26:09 -0800

Dear List-Colleagues:

I have been working on installing Xen on Suse 10.3 for some time now.  I am green as grass - both a total newbie to Xen and a relative newbie to Linux (as well as a total newbie to SuSE).

Currently, I am at the point that when I click on the Xen entry in my grub loader I see Xen starting and running through much of its early setup.  Eventually, however, it quits on "waiting for device" - that is to say, when it needs to find its drive partition and root.  I have spent several person-days on this and believe my problem is that I have no xenblk.  Indeed, I note that I do not have xennet, either, on my brand new, newly setup machine.

I looked everywhere for these files, re-installed far too many times, looked all over the net and have even downloaded a tar version from the Xen.org site and tried that too - still no xenblk or xennet.

I believe that for my install they ought to reside at:

/lib/modules/2.6.18-xen_3.1.0/kernel/drivers/xen

Not there, of course! (all that resides there are the folders: pciback and tpmback)

Needless to say when I run mkinitrd, it complains that it cannot deal with xennet or xenblk dependencies - as it can find neither of these modules.

I am perplexed, thoroughly flummoxed and suspect I have, in my rank ignorance, made a 'flat forehead error' - something that is so obvious no instructions include it - but what?

My question is thus:

a) what have I done wrong in my install?
b) how can I get xenblk and xennet onto my machine
c) are there any special steps I have to take once I have them or can I simply run mkinitrd again and create a new initrd file?

I am really, truly desperate or I would not trouble this list with what is, likely something simple, the problem is that I cannot find the answer on my own...

Best and many thanks, in advance, to any who reply!

Pyrrhic

P.S.

My menu.lst entry reads:

title
    root(hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/xen-3.1.0.gz dom0_mem=262144
    module /boot/vnlinuz-2.6.18-xen_3.1.0
    root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ ... -part6 vga=0x314
    resume=dev/sda5 max_loop 12
    module /boot/initrd-2.6.18-xen_3.1.0.img

Note: root(hd0,5) boots just fine when it is SuSE.

...all that is Gold does not glitter,
not all those who wander are lost...