Re: [Xen-users] Provisioning SAN disk to domU's

  • To: "Brandon Young" <bkyoung@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "John Madden" <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:44:21 -0500
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:46:32 -0800

> How do I go about giving a domU access to SAN?  Can we create SAN
> bridges like we can Ethernet bridges, and then define a virtual HBA in
> the domU?  Can we hide the real HBA from dom0 and present it to domU,
> somehow?  Is it even possible to do what I am asking?  After days of
> Googling and reading various documentation, plus reading hundreds of
> possibly relevant emails in this list's archive, I have not found what
> I am looking for.  I have more questions than answers.

If you want all of the i/o fencing capabilities (etc) of GFS, you'll
have to use the pciback/etc Xen stuff to give the HBA to the domU.
However, simply for GFS to work, I believe all you'd need to do is pass
the SAN LUN down to the domU via your Xen config (phy:/dev/sdX,...).
GFS works based on the fact that it's a SCSI disk, not so much on the
concept that it's "a SAN."

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually done this, it's just what seems
logical. :))

John

--
John Madden