Re: [Xen-users] PDFLUSH deadlock

  • To: Xen-Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:40:18 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:41:20 -0800

Gareth Bult wrote:
Hi,

I did post this before, but as time passes I'm becoming more confident of my observations.

When using XEN in the way I'm using it, there is a deadlock condition somewhere in PDFLUSH that can lock your machine up. The lockup may be very short / un-noticeable, or it may extent to a number of minutes.

Conditions
========

Lots of DomU's (say 10) all running off file-backed storage.

Cure
====

Type "sync" in the Dom0 - instant release.

Things I've tried
===========

Tweaking /proc/sys/vm/dirty_*

I had somewhat similar problem when testing vmware-server, running more than one guest. Worse, actually, in that at some point the host simply hangs.
The fix was to add these entries to /etc/sysctl.conf :

vm.min_free_kbytes = 10240
vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 500
vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=250
vm.dirty_ratio=40
vm.dirty_background_ratio=20

I believe the first entry is the most important.
Now I use LVM-backed Xen mostly, so it's not an issue. Perhaps you should try LVM and see if it can provide better performance.

Regards,

Fajar